Thursday, June 19, 2008

Finally made it to Newport!


This is a photo of me at the "office!" It's a hard life I lead (and YES I wear a life vest whenever I am alone on the boat!)

Well it only took about 2 weeks longer than planned but I am finally here! "Here" of course is not exactly where I PLANNED to be but you know what they say about "plans!"
If possible, today was even calmer than yesterday. When looking at the forecast for the next couple of days it was hard to pull in to the harbor. I kept thinking "If I don't sleep for the next 48 hours I can be in Seattle!" Then I came to my senses....
This is a beautiful harbor but it took me a while to find the Harbormaster once I was docked. The office is in a weird location behind a nearby RV park. Go figure.
Tomorrow I have about a 5 mile walk to the place where you catch the airport shuttle. After my experience in Noyo River, I'm not too worried!
Well the boat is washed so it shouldn't look TOO terrible when the Admiral shows up for her inspection next week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad...that picture of you in your life vest is quite possibly the cutest picture ever :D

Anonymous said...

Lara,
Just so you know and can be more technically accurate in future postings:
It is quite a sight to come into this Harbor with the monstrous red bridge and crisp sky line of San Francisco. There were wind surfers all around (this is like being a bug on the highway with Mac Trucks whizzing by).
Mack, not Mac, trucks are built in Pennsylvania and while dominant in the east coast, mainly as construction trucks not over-the-road long haul trucks, they are actually rarely seen in the west, especially the west coast. Besides Mack is now owned by Renault, French, need I say more?
The west coast is dominated by Freightliner from Seattle, now owned by Mercedes of Germany, Peterbilt and Kenworth. A few Western Star trucks can be found, but typically only by owner/operators that are willing to spend the extra money for a truck that will provide a few more million miles of service life.
Happy sailing, Russ Vinton

Anonymous said...

Russ (aka Antipodes Hydraulics Engineer and FIRST guest ever aboard),
This is what happens when I don’t edit the Admiral’s posts. On the other hand, she’s a sea-faring lass and can’t be expected to know everything about nasty, land-bound trash-haulers.....
Jim