I am not sure I have EVER seen such majesty. I am swept with emotion and feel very small. I am surrounded by mile-high mountains that drop almost vertically into 1000 foot depths below.


It is so fitting that Young Life operates a camp right here. Jim and I took a tour of the camp.
Dozens of waterfalls are streaming down the mountain sides. Can you see them in the background? Probably not...
We had ourselves quite the adventure getting through the rapids. There is a narrow “Z” shaped cut in these mountains where the Malibu Rapids belong. The tidal currents here are fierce, creating about four opportunities each day; two low tide and two high tide periods of about an hour where the boats must rush through before the tidal currents of 9.0 knots are too much for most boats to over power. The tidal flow can create a situation where a boat is going backwards completely out of control.As a result, the boats queue up outside waiting for the conditions to become “slack”. We got there early and were the first boat in the line up. There was quite a bit of radio chatter as the boats wondered if the “spring current” would be stronger than the tide table predictions. Some experienced Captains (with smaller boats) were pressing to go. There was pressure for us to either get out of the way or to get going. There are a limited number of spots at the end of inlet – it’s a first come, first serve accommodation and a limited amount of time to get through the rapids before it is impassable for another 6 hours. Our 55' boat would not be easy to "fit in". The radio chatter indicated that "it would probably be fine".
Less than half way through, with no opportunity to turn around; things did not look so fine. The water was very turbulent and control elusive. Jim frantically and with great focus manually steered the boat. The wheel was flying to the left and to the right with a click, click, click of Jim’s wedding ring as he anticipated the movement of the boat and the currents impact. The radio was silent during this maneuver as the others in line (behind us waiting to get through the rapids) watched with rapt attention. Finally, the radio silence broke with “Jade Sea” saying, “I think I will wait another 30 minutes”. Not another boat attempted the crossing for at least a half an hour. We arrived (shaken) at the dock with our pick of spots!
I am now listening to the waterfall; it sounds like white noise. This is a very large waterfall. The windows and doors are all open. Water temperature is a balmy 68º F (air temperature reported to be close to 80º F) and people are jumping off their boats into the water. Look carefully in the second picture and see the teenie, tiny people at the bottom. This waterfall is huge!

6 comments:
I went to Malibu in 1976--fabulous camp. I was wondering if you'd go by it. I'm hoping the kids get to go--definitely worthwhile!
I should also add that one of the camp activities was water-skiing and I was terrified at one point when a rookie staff driver took me right over the whirlpools where the rapids occur at the entrance to the Malibu fjord! I know just where you were and how hairy it can get. Water skiing there is not something I'd ever want to do again! Did you see the gorgeous pool hewn out of the huge granite? Ah, that was a lovely camp...
Jen,
The pool is unchanged! It is very large and overlooks the rapids.You and I need to go back as "tour guides" some day. That would be a hoot! Let's plan it for 2025 okay?
lara
Hi Jim and Lara: Enjoying your blog. Don't you love the adventures when you come out the other end unscathed?! Starting to read your blog from the beginning when I have time. There is no man-made structure that can compete with the earth's natural beauty. Patricia and Bruce
So glad to see your bogs again. I was in serious Yorksafloat blog withdrawal!
Lara,
I almost went back last summer for a Malibu Reunion with my friend, Cindy Lord (apt name), who was a worker-bee there the same summer I went. I've always wanted to go back. Can't we do it sooner than 2025 though? Hmm, that would make me...65?!
Post a Comment